The Education Specialists is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and candidates to share this commitment. The Education Specialists strictly adheres to the Recruitment, Selection and Vetting checks that must be made on all people who work with children and young people. These requirements are incorporated into The Education Specialists’ Selection and Vetting procedures and are fully compliant with government guidelines as set out in the current government guidance, Keeping Children Safe in Education, Working Together to Safeguard Children and Disqualification under the Childcare Act.
The Education Specialists also adheres to the specific duties and responsibilities for an employer in relation to barred persons and the sharing of information about individuals to the relevant bodies i.e. LADO, DBS and TRA.
The following checks are completed prior to first placement and safeguarding checks are repeated during service:
- Face to face interview with the applicant
- Confirm the true identity of the applicant in line with current guidelines, this must include photographic ID/date of birth check/change of name check
- Confirm the applicants address with two independent documents
- Right to work in the UK
- Qualifications verified against the issuing relevant institution or governing body
- Confirm QTS (if applicable) and check for any active restrictions using Employer Access
- Prohibition and sanction checks on all staff
- Confirm that overseas trained teachers hold UK NARIC equivalent to a British Teaching Degree or PGCE
- Obtain an enhanced DBS certificate and/or verify a valid DBS certificate online using the Update Service and perform a status check on that document
- Carry out relevant checks for applicants who have lived/worked overseas including obtaining specific documentation i.e. Police Check/Letter of Good Conduct
- Give applicants the opportunity (both verbally and in writing) to declare any convictions, cautions or reprimands, warnings or bind-over’s in line with current DBS filtering rules (May 2013)
- Barred List check
- Medical fitness to work
- Received and verified at least two satisfactory references covering a minimum of the last two years
- Verified gaps in work history
- Disqualification check.